AAU's Password Policy
Your first line of defence against people trying to steal your information is your password. Make sure your passwords comply with AAU's password policy. This is how you keep your information safe at Aalborg University.
What should my password look like?
Your password must:
- Be at least 14 characters long.
- For example, SunshineFor10Hours (18 characters) fulfils the rules, whereas MyDog!2020 (10 characters) does not.
- Contain at least 3 of these 4 variations:
- Upper case (do not use Æ, Ø and Å)
- Lowercase (do not use æ, ø and å)
- Numbers (0 to 9)
- Special characters e.g. _ # ! ? = * + (do not use < and >)
- Passwords must not contain unwanted words or be identical to unwanted passwords.
- Unwanted words and passwords are obtained from international lists of frequently used words in passwords. A password may also be unwanted if it has been leaked before.
- Passwords may be rejected if they are considered too weak.
- For example, avoid using your name or city names, months and years that relate to the time and location of the password change.
- Passwords must not be reused.
- Passwords must be changed at least once a year.